Monday, March 30, 2009

Happy Two Month Birthday

Today is Claire's 2 month birthday and while we thought about inviting friends over and having a big to do, Sarah decided to celebrate by attending a mommy and me yoga class. Now I don't really know that much about Yoga but the way Sarah describes it to me, I picture a bunch of Mom's perched in pecarious positions trying to avoid falling on their babies lying on the mats below them. And while they are wobbling over their babies holding one leg high in the air and twisting their arms behind their backs they sing songs like "Row Row Row Your Boat". Then when the baby has had enough of Mom teetering over her and starts crying, Mom gets a timeout to feed or change the baby while the rest of the women continue to contort their bodies. Near the end of the class the "real" fun starts. Apparently this is where everyone gets into a big circle and dances while holding their babies in front of them. As if this wasn't enough excitement for the babies and the mom's the dance culminates in a roaring chorus of the Rainbow Connection. Sarah admits that it was cheesy but proclaimed that "when you are forced to be in a room with strangers doing something embarassing, you really feel like you bond with them" This bonding also appears to have rubbed off on Claire who had a few flirtacious moments with a dashing young 2 month old who goes by the name of Diego. When I later asked Claire about this chance encounter, she simply ignored me and continued to suck on her pacifier. I guess she's at the age where its not cool to share your love life with your father.
As part of the 1/6 of a year celebration, Claire also paid a visit to her favorite pediatrician's office where she our unsuspecting youngin was on the receiving end of 3 shots and an oral vaccination. Unfortunately dad was in the nation's capital saving the free world when this all went down, but mom described her response to the shots as many loud shrill screams. In addition to being inflicted with pain, she was also again forced to strip naked and be placed on a hard metal scale. While not as excruciating as the shots, I've never heard anyone tell me around the water cooler at work that they spend their weekend sitting sans clothes on a piece of metal. That's beside the point though... Claire again tipped the scales this time at a sizeable 12 lbs 3 ozs. That makes her officially heavier than both of our cats and puts her in the 90th percentile for her weight. She is also 90th percentile in height, standing tall at 1 foot 11.75 inches. Unfortunately her head is a mere 36th percentile, but she appears quite smart to me so I'm not worried.... Claire just woke up from a nap, got to go tend to the screaming baby.

1 comment:

LSullCliff said...

She is the CUTEST baby I've seen in quite some time!!! I hope I can see her before she starts preschool. (For some reason I wasn't able to post comments to your blog before this. I'm glad it's working now.)