Monday, August 22, 2011

George and Martha's Place

If it were up to me we would never stray too far from home, because I just love keeping the kids on some sort of routine.  I typically insist on planning a day-trip at least the night before, so I think you can no longer call it an "adventure" since it was planned.  I accept the fact that I have turned into a mothering freak and completely lost all spontaneity.  It's just that I go bonkers when I hear my baby crying!  It goes without saying that I go ultra-bonkers when Claire has a tantrum too.  Anyway thanks to Brian's unflagging spirit of adventure, we got out of the house and saw a historical landmark over the weekend.  Despite the heat and untimely meals I am glad we went because Mount Vernon was beautiful!  It wasn't just a home -- the estate includes a farm, gardens, and a wharf. 


The whole day Claire kept asking about George and Martha.  She wanted to know where they were.



We gambled and took the kids on the tour of the home.  They were just fine!


We were pleased to see that even George Washington had nut grass weeds in his lawn.





Claire was very excited about the 3 week old piglet.



George and Martha laid to rest:



The wharf was a nice surprise.  Very cool there.  We didn't know where the boat was headed.



No comments: