Saturday, January 31, 2009

Claire's first 36 hours

It is hard to believe that Claire is not just a little over 36 hours old. In some ways it feels like a one big day but because I've taken about 623 naps it feels like its been a really long time. It is amazing at how quickly she is changing. In the first few hours she never opened her eyes, now she does a lot of looking around. Her cry started out loud and continues to be loud but it has become distinctly higher. She pooped 5 times so far and peed about the same. And as I write this I realize that Sarah has yet to change a diaper. The nurses have changed one chunky diaper and a few wet ones but I guess I've done the rest. I think this whole I'm exhausted/in pain thing that Sarah is doing is perhaps a big act to get her out of changing diapers. More on that later, but here is how I see the score now:


Person Yellow Stuff Chunky Stuff
Brian 2 4
Nurses 3 1
Grandma 0 0.1 (since she talked about doing it)
Sarah 0 0

















Anyway, Sarah is doing well and more than pulling her weight as she is doing 100% of the feeding tasks. They finally took her off the IV drip early this morning and she's been able to walk around the room several times today, but she's yet to venture farther than confines of our room. I keep telling her that their are all kinds of wonderful sights and sounds outside of the room but with the nurses at her beck and call and teenage volunteers baking her fresh cookies, its hard to convince her to leave. Speaking of which, we'll be leaving tomorrow morning and heading home. The most interesting thing about this will be introducing Claire to the cats. I've found it quite easy to introduce myself to Claire. I told her my name and that I was her father and asked to her cry to acknowledge that she understood. Trying to introduce a baby to cats will be a much harder task. Neither of them seem to speak English, French, Spanish, or any other language recognized by the National Language Institute so we're going to have to try different tactics. I got one idea from the hearing test they just gave Claire. One would think that they're isn't much technology needed to see if the baby will jump if you bang a couple of pots together, but its probably been the most high tech experience we've had since coming to the hospital. Anyway, they hooked her up with some headphones and sensors and measured her brainwaves whenever they sent sound to her ears. As the process is going on they graph her progress. One progress bar for the left ear and one for the right. This was a nerve-racking experience for me as a parent. What if the progress bar got stuck at 93%? Would that mean that I'd have to repeat myself 7 out of every 100 times I ask her to clean her room? Luckily this was not the case. 100% in both ears. I don't know what it means to be 100%, but I figure this means she has supersonic hearing and Sarah and I will soon be using her to spy on our neighbors.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

She is so beautiful! I am glad things are going well!

Alicia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alicia said...

wow, she is just getting cuter and cuter. She is so cute that I stole her photo and put it on my blog. Please don't sue for copyright infirngement.

Anonymous said...

I agree - beautiful, cute and I'll add, adorable. Congratulations, Brian and Sarah. Please sing her a soft, welcoming lullaby from me and give her a kiss on the top of her head. Sorry I'm too far away to help with the chunky stuff...:) Val